In 1955, when Vulkan changed its name from „Vulkan – state foundry and marine mechanical workshop” to “Crane factory and foundry VULKAN” Rijeka, new economic measures were implemented.

That year, Vulkan’s steal factory was out of work for two months due to generator repairs, and because of that and frequent power cuts, certain machines were not working. As a consequence, one hundred tons of steel was processed less than planned for that year.

That is why the planned production for 1956 contained greater production, launching of new products (such as a 300 tons hydraulic crane) and cooperation with some companies, such as the Ironworks in Zenica, factory „Metalna“ in Maribor and the implementation of the signed contract with the Shipyard “3. Maj“  for the production of coastal cranes.

Work discipline was satisfactory where standards were implemented – in 60 percent of workplaces. For the other 40 percent the plan was to implement those measures so company can operate at full capacity.

An interesting practice was working for private interests, something that newspaper Rijecki list wrote about in September 1953. Although factory workers worked for the benefit of Vulkan, and  work for private interest was prohibited, in the factories was allowed that workers  occasionally use the capacity of the factory for their personal benefit. But, this privilege was often abused. Specifically, a mass meeting was held and  the workers’ council outlined the problem of unlawful alienation of the factory’s property for personal interests and proposed the abolition of  this practice. In fact, some workers were doing this too often so they have neglected their jobs which had reflected negatively on the work discipline and the right attitude towards national property.

Ultimately,this practice was abolished. In the article was also mentioned  the example of Viktor Ridic, a lathe operator, who started with small work that was allowed but soon the work for personal gain became more important that his actual job in Vulkan. There were two other cases of workers who, together with Ridic, were fired from Vulkan.

This was the only case of abuse of a workplace that Rijecki/Novi list reported in ten years. It is unknown if this was present in other companies.



  1. Grbes, M. (2018) Industrija grada Rijeke od 1945.-1955. godine. Master’s thesis. Zagreb: Faculty of Philosophy.
  2. Latkovic, B. (1985). Vulkan-Rijeka – kronika najvaznijih zbivanja 1929. do 1985.. Rijeka: Radna organizacija Vulkan.